Saturday, May 10, 2008

Here Comes Summer!

It is Saturday afternoon and I am having a really hard time relaxing. Don't get me wrong, I am in major need of relaxation after this week. Its like after you've been sprinting on a tread mill for days, your legs still feel like their moving when you get off. However, today I have given "relaxation" my best effort. I slept in till 10, watched I Love Lucy, leisurely got ready, and then headed over to my new apartment. Since then I have been doing laundry, reading, working out, all enjoyable things but today it has seemed more like torture. I have been so used to working all day on Saturdays, free-Saturdays are still kind of foreign to me, but I am sure in time I will come to enjoy them.

Let me just start by saying that my internship in Production is awesome. I feel so much more in my element now at CMT. On Tuesday we had a live at Studio 330 session, which is primarily what our department is in charge of. A very talented, very famous singer/songwriter came in for the session and it was amazing. I grew up listening to her music, but I had no idea how talented she was until I saw her live. I got to sit in the production room with my head set on, watching the concert and writing down time codes. I also got to stand around during all of the excitement and look important. I found it very entertaining that people from the artist's record label and her publicists introduced themselves to me like I actually mattered. Not to say that I don't matter, but lets face it, I am an intern.

The rest of the week was spent learning the tasks that I will be in charge of including transcribing interviews. I spent the whole day yesterday, 9:30-6:00, listening to every word of two different interviews and typing out what they said word for word. Lets just say I know both of the artists interviewed very well now. I was staring at their faces for so long, at the end I felt like I had adapted some of their mannerisms. Weird. Anyways, all in all it was a great first week.

My sister and my mom will be arriving tomorrow night after a 12 hour drive from Texas. One reason why I hardly ever go home. My mom is going to help us get the new apartment ready. This week, once again I have been a vagabond because my apartment has a bed with no bedding, a shower with no shower curtain, a kitchen with no glasses or plates, and the list goes on. She will be here for a week, and when she leaves I hope that my sister and I will have a place that we can call home, at least for the summer. Luckily, the condo I am moving into in August is completely furnished by my friend/future-roommate, and looks like it was decorated by an interior decorator.

Things are going to be alot different with my sister here, but I am excited. It will be nice to have a partner-in-crime for the summer, and to introduce her to all of the people and places that make up Nashville for me. Between that and my internship, it should be a memorable summer!

1 comment:

Dr. Mac said...

Sounds fun, Rachel! Have a great summer!

-- Dr. Mac